Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Intention and Introduction

My intention in creating this blog is both personal and educational. I intend to write about my personal experience as a non-binary person, about parenting against the grain in this oppressive society, and to share information and resources, especially related to trans issues.
[image description: a waist-up photograph of the author, a non-binary white person
with brown hair and glasses, standing outside under an apple tree wearing a blue t-shirt
with dinosaurs and UFOs, with hands behind their head showing wrist tattoos, smiling.]
I am a non-binary/genderqueer trans person. I am not an expert on trans issues. I can only speak for my own experience, and share what I learn from others. My entire life I have known that I do not identify as female or male, but it was only in recent years that I began to have some terms to describe my gender. I am in the process of coming out more vocally about my non-binary gender and personal pronouns (they/them). It is a very personal matter, as gender really is only personal, but I truly believe "This above all: to thine own self be true" (Shakespeare). I hope that in writing here, I can raise some awareness and understanding on trans and non-binary identities and issues, help others with similar experiences feel less alone, and provide resources that could be helpful to allies, trans people, and parents of trans and gender-nonconforming kids.

Depending on your knowledge of trans issues, you may have questions (or something to add) about some of the terms I use or subjects I talk about. I welcome questions and comments that are related to the post. I also want to remind readers that the internet, and hopefully your local library, have vast amounts of information that can be at your fingertips, if you take the time.

I have a page of resources that you can look over, and I am hoping to create some book lists (that I'm sure will grow overtime).

Here is my favorite little comic (by RainbowBruises) to introduce a broader understanding of gender to cis-folks who are new to the idea.
[image description: a comic showing a diverse selection of people, with the text: "women are women regardless of sex/ and men are men in the same respects/ you can be both or a mix of the two/ or you can be neither if that's what suits you/ but people are people whatever their parts/ because what really matters is inside of our hearts."]

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing you and your story :) You will help so many of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete